Wedding Countdown!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mothers of Brides, Mothers of Grooms

I know it's a cliche but I really never understand why some Mothers try and make weddings about them.  Now the bride that I had this weekend was a completely unorganized mess and don't get me started on her "day of" wedding planner that was non-existent, but their is helpful and their is overbearing.  The Mother of the Bride kept changing everything that the bride would do and setup because she didn't like the way it looked.  This meant the Bride kept getting more stressed out and frustrated, not to mention the fact that it made things take forever and I was moving tables and thing around which I do not normally do.  That's what my houseman does and he wasn't scheduled in until later.  Now once the reception started usually things should run pretty smoothly, especially if you've planned things correctly but the mother continued to pull their respective children aside to complain to them about the other mother and what she was doing.  Mainly the fight was over the DJ and what type of music he was playing.  One mother wanted slow and jazzy while the other mother wanted more upbeat and modern.  This was all different from what the bride and groom had given to the DJ in their list of what to play.  In the end I know that this is as I said before a cliche, mother taking over the wedding story but this was really the most evident I have seen it.  I can't imagine pulling my child away from their reception and party to complain to them and cause problems.  The mother of the groom and the groom missed the bouquet toss!  I know that my Mom reads this so please remember this story when it comes to my wedding, not that you would ever act like that.  In the end...you have class.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! How awful!! I know that my Mom or yours would never act this way!! So much for the "best day of their life" :( I sure hope the birth of their first born goes a little more smoothly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a mess! I promise I'll behave - thanks for the compliment (Connie, too). You can always shut me up with a glass of wine...
    I have only one 'motherly' comment and it's a 'red pen in hand, editor' comment: "their" is possessive, "there" is location or statement of fact (think "here".
    There, lesson over for the week. I love reading your posts! Mom

    ReplyDelete